This room started out with a plain square opening before it was converted into a comfortable reading area. The cabinet maker built library units and added stained paneling to the walls. The columns and framing around the entry were added. Then, I added texture and a stone finish to the columns and arch. I added wall icing to the underside of the arch. To bring out the details and add character, I added sepia staining to the woodwork. On the coffered ceiling, I painted the frame in a dark metal finish with the same sepia stain on the tin inserts.
The goal of this job for the designer was to keep these existing new cabinets while changing out the stove hood. The cabinet guy made the hood to fit the space left by the previous hood. The client needed to use her kitchen while the work was being completed, so, I painted it in the basement, let it dry for 2 weeks, and then the cabinet guy returned for the installation.
Primed and ready to faux.
I painted the pewter then I added the flexible molding and rivets.
The flex molding was painted as cast iron to give it contrast.